SEMA Construction, voted a 2019 & 2018 Top Workplace by the Denver Post, has an immediate opening for a Roadway Design Engineer / Estimator with a background in heavy civil construction, specifically roadway design. The Design Engineer / Estimator will be based in our Denver, Colorado office and manage all aspects of design and cost estimates for large heavy civil projects involving roadway construction projects that include earthwork and utilities.
- Create detailed cost estimates arranged to follow the pricing format required by the project
- Research pricing for estimates based on historical and regional costs
- Provide high level design scoping of the project to create the estimate summary and outsourcing control worksheets
- Visit project work sites, participate in pre-proposal meetings, clarify scope of work, and prepare RFI’s;
- Prepare written statement of qualifications and/or proposals that respond directly to project owners’ requests for qualifications and requests for proposals
- Evaluate projects for constructability and value-engineer cost savings
- Work closely with SEMA personnel and other stakeholders to develop strategy, competitive differentiation, and an overall understanding of the project
- Understand and seek out specialty subcontractors and suppliers that fulfill the unique requirements of the project
- Develop and/or manage the development of a preliminary bid schedule
- Develop self-performed estimates for the trades that we choose to self-perform
- Work closely with subcontractors, suppliers, and other stakeholders through the bid process to understand and capture the complete scope of each trade in the scope summary sheets and the estimate at large
- Accurately utilize project plans and specifications to identify scopes of work, assign crews, schedules, materials and subcontracting opportunities
- Manage bid receipt of subcontractor and supplier pricing to develop SEMA’s final selling price and offer
- Understand and manage SEMA’s risk as part of the proposal preparation process
- Work with team to close the estimate in HCSS
- Work on a preliminary project schedule based on the information provided in the plans and specifications utilizing Primavera Contractor software
- Proposal development and technical writing
- 4-year BS degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management, (P.E. preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in heavy civil roadway design and estimating required
- Experience in all aspects of heavy civil work scopes preferred
- HCSS (Heavybid Software), Agtek, and Primavera P6 strongly preferred
- Alternate delivery experience preferred, including technical writing skills
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Sense of urgency and the ability to multi-task
- Highly productive and willing to manage a busy work schedule independently
- Superior verbal and written (including technical) communication skills
SEMA Construction, Inc. offers top wages and benefits to all employees. SEMA Construction, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please click on the link below to complete our online application and attach your resume.
No calls please.