SEMA California District - Current Opportunities
Project Engineer (CA)
Location: Temecula, California
Salary Range: Based On Experience
SEMA Construction, Inc., named a 2019 Top Workplace, has an immediate opening for an experienced Project Engineer with a background in heavy civil construction. The Project Engineer will be responsible for projects located within our California District, based out of Temecula, California. The candidate will assist Project Management in the direction of field responsibilities for both self-performing and subcontracted trades. Major areas of responsibility include:
- Coordinating with superintendents and foreman to ensure project goals and expectations are met.
- Assisting Project Manager to assure project compliance with SEMA’s safety policies and OSHA safety standards.
- Must be able to manage changes in scope of work and be proficient in Viewpoint.
- Assist with schedule and coordinate with foreman and field personnel with daily schedules including materials, subcontractors, equipment, quality control, etc.
- Assist project planning to include project definition, scope, resources, and schedule.
- Assist with baseline schedule from the job estimate.
- Processes change orders as needed.
- Assist with contracts and provide customer support on all jobs.
- Assist and coordinate and delegate timely completion of traffic control plans, equipment mobilization, safety plans, haul road plans, erosion control plans, purchase ordering, job costing, and other duties as required.
- Coordinate with all sub-contractors for timely completion and quality.
- Construction Management or Engineering degree from a four-year university
- Minimum of three years of project experience in heavy civil construction
- Experience working with CALTRANS
- Proficiency in Viewpoint is preferred
- Applicant must be a self-starter who operates independently and thrives in a busy environment
Cost Estimator (CA)
Location: Temecula, CA
Salary Range: Based on Experience
SEMA Construction, recently named a Top Workplace, has an immediate opening for an experienced Cost Estimator with a background in heavy civil construction. The Cost Estimator will be based in our Temecula, CA office and be responsible for earthwork, structures, and underground utilities projects located within our California District. Minimal travel will be required. The Cost Estimator will manage all aspects of developing cost estimates for large heavy civil projects. Responsibilities:
- Create detailed cost estimates arranged to follow the pricing format required by the project
- Research pricing for estimates based on historical and regional costs
- Provide high level scoping of the project to create the estimate summary and outsourcing control worksheets
- Lead outreach to subcontractor and supply community directly
- Visit project work sites, participate in pre-proposal meetings, clarify scope of work, and prepare RFI's;
- Evaluate projects for constructibility and value-engineer cost savings
- Work closely with SEMA personnel and other stakeholders to develop strategy, competitive differentiation, and an overall understanding of the project
- Understand and seek out specialty subcontractors and suppliers that fulfill the unique requirements of the project
- Develop and/or manage the development of a preliminary bid schedule
- Develop self-performed estimates for the trades that we choose to self-perform
- Work closely with subcontractors, suppliers, and other stakeholders through the bid process to understand and capture the complete scope of each trade in the scope summary sheets and the estimate at large
- Accurately utilize project plans and specifications to identify scopes of work, assign crews, schedules, materials and subcontracting opportunities
- Manage bid receipt of subcontractor and supplier pricing to develop SEMA's final selling price and offer
- Understand and manage SEMA's risk as part of the proposal preparation process
- Work with team to close the estimate in HCSS
- Work on a preliminary project schedule based on the information provided in the plans and specifications utilizing Primavera Contractor software
- Proposal development and technical writing
- 4 year BS degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- PE or EIT preferred but not required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience of heavy civil estimating experience
- Experience in all aspects of heavy civil work preferred
- HCSS (Heavybid Software), Agtek, and Primavera P6 strongly preferred
- Alternate delivery experience preferred
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Sense of urgency and the ability to multi-task
- Highly productive and willing to manage a busy work schedule independently
- Superior verbal and written (including technical) communication skills
California District General Application
Location: Irvine, CA
Salary Range: Negotiable
If you are interested in a specific position and we are not currently advertising for it in the California District, you may submit your application/resume and we will keep it on file for 60 days. After 60 days, you will need to submit a new application. If you are interested in submitting an application for future open positions, please click on the link below to complete an on-line application and/or attach your resume. Be sure to include the position you are interested in applying for on your application or resume. In order to be considered for employment in certain positions in California, you need to be a member of a local union. SEMA Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.APPLY NOW