SEMA Construction, Inc., recently named a Top Workplace for the 3rd year in a row by the Denver Post, has an exciting opportunity opening for an experienced and proven Alternate Delivery Director with a strong background in design, alternate delivery contracting, and relationship building in the heavy civil industry. The Alternate Delivery Director will be based in SEMA’s corporate office in Centennial, Colorado and will be responsible for pursuing and managing significant alternate delivery projects within our Rocky Mountain District.
We are looking for a Licensed Professional Engineer with at least 15 years of experience as a Design Manager who possesses an in-depth understanding of the heavy civil design life-cycle across major scope areas, including but not limited to: roadway, structures, earthwork, underground utilities, traffic control, and construction phasing.
The ideal candidate will have successful career experience in managing designers and the design process, pursuing and managing alternate delivery projects, and business development/relationship building within these key Colorado heavy civil market sectors: highways/bridges, water resource, and heavy rail.
Major Areas of Responsibilities Include:
- Lead SEMA’s Alternate Delivery Team that includes members from our executive team, estimating, project management, field operations, and marketing in the pursuit and execution of major alternate delivery transportation projects
- Lead the development of innovative (technical and non-technical) win strategies in the pursuit of new alternate delivery projects
- Draw upon existing industry relationships and establish new ones to develop strategic partnerships for future pursuits
- Utilize strong industry relationships (with Owners and Consultants) to discover and track the progress of future pursuits
- Identify internal and external resources needed for specific alternate delivery project pursuits, including design managers and key subcontractors
- Negotiate teaming agreements and design subcontracts with other engineering entities
- Manage all alternate delivery design engineers (both internal to SEMA and external partners) to ensure design deliverables are met on time
- Contribute strong technical content, including innovative approaches, risk mitigation strategies, and technical write-ups, in the preparation of RFQs and proposals
- Represent SEMA in a lead role in all key alternate delivery interviews and client meetings
- Act as Project Manager for CM/GC and design-build projects of all sizes and all market scope types within the heavy civil industry, and exceed Owner expectations in the following areas:
- Collaborating with project Owners, during both preconstruction services and construction services to ensure SEMA’s delivery of project scopes, decisions, budgets, and timeline deliverables to exceed the project goals.
- Performing as a strong partner who creates cohesion among a variety of personnel who make up CM/GC and design-build project teams and stakeholder groups
- Acting as a constructability expert, who provides leadership for the design and construction teams and develops innovative and cost savings solutions in response to project constraints
- Collaborating with estimating on alternative cost analyses that incorporate numerous scenarios involving innovation, risk, schedule, optimized packaging, and design change concepts
- Proven track record of effectively directing multiple projects and pursuits, consecutively
- Licensed Professional Engineer (State of Colorado)
- Construction Management or Civil Engineering degree from a four-year university
- Minimum of 15 years of successful experience as a transportation Design Manager, with experience on both the pursuit and project management sides of the business
- Minimum of 20 years of project experience in heavy civil construction
- Established strong relationships in the Colorado transportation design and heavy civil construction industry strongly preferred (references will be required)
- Exceptional technical writing skills
- Superior verbal communication and presentation skills
- Charismatic, creative, and innovative personality with experience leading teams through winning pursuits
- Problem solver with the ability to lead strong teams, manage challenging circumstances, and meet aggressive deadlines
SEMA Construction offers competitive wages and benefits to all employees. SEMA Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.